Thursday, April 12, 2007

Was Marcel Duchamp correct? ... my journey From Starving Artist To 21st Century Picasso

Jay Rolfe has been painting today, working on 2 paintings one after the other. I'm going to set those aside - they're not finished - and assemble a painting I finished painting a couple of weeks ago. It's composed of 5 painted stretched canvas panels. It will probably be tomorrow before I can hang it and photograph it.

Yesterday at the Philadelphia Museum of Art I visited several exhibits that interested me aside from the Thomas Chimes exhibit I posted about yesterday. I again looked at the Ellsworth Kelly Exhibit of early paintings. He painted small in those days, and then went big.

I went as always to the Impressionist, Modern, and Contemporary galleries. I really enjoy being in them. I went to the Marcel Duchamp gallery. He did some nice landscapes and portraits before his radical cubist paintings. His "Nude Descending a Staircase" was groundbreaking.

Duchamp was extremely influential with his so-called Readymades. Two of his most famous Readymades, "Bicycle Wheel" from 1916 and "Fountain" from 1917 caused critics, curators, and artists to expand their definition of art. Since then a work is "art" if someone who declares themselves an artist declares the work to be art, even if it is a urinal like "Fountain." Here are photos of them. Was Duchamp right? What do you think? Please post a comment if you'd like.

That's today's step on the journey of Jay Rolfe From Starving Artist To 21st Century Picasso. You can see some expressions of Jay Rolfe's unique artistic idea on his website at www.3dssc.com.

No comments: