Monday, April 30, 2007

New paintings in the works ... my journey From Starving Artist To 21st Century Picasso

Today Jay Rolfe cut the wood for stretcher frameworks for 3 new 3DSSC (3-D shaped stretched canvas) paintings. It was a beautiful day outside, sunny, breezy, and in the high 70's. I moved my saws and saw horses outside to the driveway and worked near the beautiful crabapple tree in full bloom. It was a glorious afternoon. You can see some completed expressions of Jay Rolfe's unique artistic idea on his website at http://www.3dssc.com/.

Last Wednesday when I was in Washington DC, I went to the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden and the Hirshhorn Museum Sculpture Garden. I love large outdoor sculpture. Both Sculpture Gardens were fantastic. The Hirshhorn had 2 of my favorite Auguste Rodin Sculptures, "Monument To Blazac" and "Burghers of Calais." Both are also in the collection of the Rodin Museum in Philadelphia, the second largest collection of Rodin sculptures in the world after the Rodin Museum in Paris. I also recall seeing "Burghers of Calais" at the Norton Simon Museum in Pasadena CA. There were a number of beautiful Henry Moore sculptures. I liked Arnaldo Pomodoro's bronze "Sphere No. 6" at the Hirshhorn. I also liked "Nymph" by Aristide Maillol. I've seen several similar, at the Pushkin Museum in Moscow, the Philadelphia Museum of Art, and LACMA.

That's today's step on the journey of Jay Rolfe From Starving Artist To 21st Century Picasso.

No comments: